Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission

The architectural practice of John McDonald and his son Alan spanned a total of nearly 70 years.

The senior McDonald (1861-1956) established the firm of McDonald and Ogilvy in 1887 and by the turn of the century, the architect had developed his own successful practice, largely through residential commissions from the city’s prominent upper-class families.

After receiving an architectural degree from Harvard College in 1915, Alan McDonald (1891-1947) joined his father’s Omaha practice and over the next 30 years, the McDonald’s played a major role in shaping the city’s architectural character.

The McDonald firm was deeply rooted in late 19th and early 20th century historical revivalism.

The McDonald’s produced what can be viewed as the city’s most coherent group of Colonial Revival Buildings including the First Unitarian Church, the city’s finest example of Georgian Revival architecture.

Other important examples of the McDonald’s work include:
Joslyn Art Museum
Faidley Building (demolished)
George Joslyn House
Beth El Synagogue
Bradford-Pettis House
Hill Hotel