Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission

Born into a family of architects in Liechtenstein, John Latenser, Sr. (1858-1936) emigrated to the United States after completing studies in architecture at the Polytechnic College in Stuttgart.

For seven years he was employed as a draftsman in Chicago before setting up an architectural practice in Omaha in 1887. Latenser’s Omaha practice spanned more than 50 years with commissions for many of the city’s larger civic and commercial building projects including:

Omaha Central High School
Douglas County Court House
J. L. Brandeis and Sons Store

In addition, Latenser served as construction superintendent of Federal Building for Omaha’s Federal Post Office Building beginning in 1891 and two years later was named superintendent of Federal Building for a six-state territory.

Latenser worked for many years as architect for the Omaha School Board and is credited with designing over thirty-five schools in Omaha as well as schools throughout Nebraska and western Iowa.

jlatenser 134