Address: 302 South 36th Street
Year Built: 1916
Builder: Bankers Investment Realty Company
Style: Second Renaissance Revival
Designated Omaha Landmark: 3/12/1983
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 1/11/1985
Built by the Bankers Investment Realty Company in 1915, the Blackstone started out as a residential, or family, hotel. As stated by the company at the time, residents in family hotels rented by the year rather than the day and received hotel services. Purchased by Vienna born Charles Schimmel in 1920, the Blackstone became a "symbol of elegance" for Omahans. Schimmel operated the Blackstone as a hotel, although it retained a number of its residents as well. The hotel published its own magazine, The Blackstonian, and maintained its own Pierce Arrow, which met visiting dignitaries arriving by train. With its ballroom, roof gardens and award winning restaurants, the Blackstone was the center of many of Omaha’s finest social functions for many years. A fine example of the Second Renaissance Revival style of architecture, the Blackstone was renovated for use as offices in the early 1980’s.