Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission

brandeis 106Address: 500 South 38th Street & 3815 Dewey Avenue

Year Built:  1904

Architect: Albert Kahn

Builder: Unknown

Style: Jacobethan Revival

 

Designated Omaha Landmark: 6/10/1986

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places:  11/28/1980

The Brandeis-Millard House was designed by Detroit architect Albert Kahn, internationally known for his industrial designs. An early and fine example of the Jacobethan style of architecture, the house is the only known work of Albert Kahn in the state.  The house was built in 1904 for Arthur and Zerlina Brandeis, members of a notable Omaha mercantile family. From 1909 to 1922 the Brandeis-Millard house was the residence of Senator Joseph H. Millard, a pioneer Omahan who held prominent business and political positions.  A fine example of Prairie style design, the exterior of the house displays many Japanese influenced motifs. Interior details include leaded and stained glass, inlaid wood and tile-faced fireplaces, all inspired by the Prairie style.

Local Landmark Designation Report

National Register Nomination Document

Click HERE to Visit the Omaha Historic Properties GIS Map Story

GIS map