Address: 1209 Harney Street
Year Built: 1880/1887
Architect: Mendelssohn and Lawrie (1887 expansion)
Designated Omaha Landmark: 12/20/1983
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Old Market Historic District: 3/23/1979
Historically related to the Old Market area, the Broatch Building was built by William James Broatch, an early Omaha entrepreneur, politician and civic leader. Broatch established the city’s first wholesale heavy hardware business in 1874. He also served twice as the mayor of Omaha. The Broatch Building was originally constructed as a three story building in 1880 and enlarged to four stories in 1887, a type of expansion that was very typical for commercial buildings at the time. A good example of the Italianate style, the building was completely renovated in 1979 for use as office and commercial space, as well as for the office of Bahr, Vermeer and Haecker, architects for the renovation.