Year Built: 1905
Architect: John McDonald
Builder: Walt Peterson
Style: Colonial Revival
Designated Omaha Landmark: 3/16/1982
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 11/12/1982
The subtle, restrained dignity that architect John McDonald brought to his design for the 1905 McLaughlin House makes it a fine example of the Colonial Revival style of architecture. The Colonial Revival embodied the desire to restore order and discipline to the architecture around the turn-of -the-century, in a reaction against the picturesqueness and exhibitionism of the High Victorian era. Located in the Gold Coast area, this house was home to many prominent Omaha civic and professional leaders. After Charles McLaughlin, a manufacturer, the house was owned by E. E. Bruce, a member of the board of directors for the 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exposition, and later Dr. Russell Best, a prominent surgeon and medical researcher.