Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission

Address: 106 S. 15th Street

Year Built: 1933

Architect: James A. Wetmore, Supervising Architect, assisted by George B. Prinz & Thomas R. Kimball, William L. Steele, and Josiah D. Sandham

Builder: Unknown

Style: Stripped Classical with Art Deco influences

Designated Omaha Landmark: 3/19/2009

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 3/17/2009

In the 1930s, President Roosevelt’s efforts to jumpstart the economy through federally funded New Deal programs resulted in the construction of buildings like the Federal Office Building in downtown Omaha. During the trying years of the Great Depression, the building’s erection was a source of community pride for all and a chance at employment for some.

Local architect George B. Prinz and the local architectural firm of Kimball, Steele, and Sandham aided in the design. The result, completed in 1933, is a thirteen-story building done in the Stripped Classical Style. While the architects borrowed some design features from the more extravagant Art Deco style like a stepped-back ziggurat form for the top two levels, the streamlined design and limited ornamentation reflects the simplified outlook of the era. Various federal agencies operated out of the building until 2008. After an extensive rehabilitation, the building reopened in 2013 as a Marriott Residence Inn.

Local Landmark Designation Report

National Register Nomination Document

Click HERE to Visit the Omaha Historic Properties GIS Map Story

GIS map

0123 002 r101 f13