Year Built: 1917
Architect: John & Alan McDonald
Style: Georgian Colonial Revival Style
Designated Omaha Landmark: 2/13/1979
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 3/27/1980
The First Unitarian Church, by Omaha architects John and Alan McDonald, is an early and fine example of the Colonial Revival style in the city. An account in the September 28, 1918 Bee newspaper states: "The new building of the First Unitarian Church, Omaha, brings to this city a touch of New England, and it is fitting that this society... should be housed in a building resembling so closely the old New England meetinghouse. Both exterior and interior of the new building follow the tradition handed down by the forefathers... . The whole is truly a leaf from an old book." Former President William Howard Taft, then serving as president of the Unitarian Church Conference in the United States and Canada, officiated at the cornerstone-laying ceremony.