Year Built: 1905
Builder: G. F. Epeneter
Style: Classic Box
Designated Omaha Landmark: 4/17/1979
Though less pretentious and grandiose than the Gold Coast residences to the south and east of this location, the dwellings along North 40th Street represent the homes of many well-to-do Omaha businessmen and community leaders. Among those was the builder of this house, Gustave F. Epeneter, owner of the Eagle Cornice Works. Built in 1905, the construction of the Epeneter House coincided in time with the development of the nearby St. Cecilia’s Cathedral. The two-story classic-box structure is representative of a style found in many cities which experienced a burst of population growth at the turn-of-the-century. What sets the Epeneter House apart from others of this type is its extensive stamped and wrought iron exterior details and a variety of ornamental galvanized and stamped tin interior surfaces.