Year Built: 1903
Architect: John McDonald
Style: Scottish Baronial
Designated Omaha Landmark: 5/22/1979
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 8/25/1972, amended 3/5/2009
Originally named "Lynhurst" by the Joslyn family, the George Joslyn House was dubbed the Castle by neighbors and in early newspaper accounts because of its size and resemblance to castles Joslyns had visited in Scotland. Landscaping began on the site in 1893 when George Joslyn purchased what was then the Sutphen farm. The mansion, designed by Omaha architect John McDonald, was not constructed until 1903. Renowned landscape architect Jens Jensen is thought to have been involved with the design of the grounds. Jensen is known to have done rock work and pools for the conservatory inside the house following a 1913 tornado that did extensive damage to the house and grounds. The Joslyn Castle, currently the home of the Joslyn Castle Institute for Sustainable Communities, is open for public tours.