Year Built: 1919
Architect: John and Alan McDonald
Style: Chicago School
Designated Omaha Landmark: 7/14/1981
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 4/20/1988
The Hill Hotel is important as the most significant surviving commercial work of the architectural firm of John and Alan McDonald. Grounded in the late 19th and early 20th century historical revivalism, the McDonald firm produced what can be viewed as the city’s most coherent group of Colonial Revival buildings. The Hill Hotel - a Commercial Style, tall building in its form and structural detail - is associated with this group because of its Georgian, or more specifically Adam, ornamental features. Omaha businessmen John W. and Lem H. Hill began construction of the 140-room Hill Hotel in the fall of 1919. The structure served as a hotel for over 60 years. In the late 1980’s the Hill Hotel was converted to apartments under a certified historic rehabilitation.