Year Built: 1910
Architect: Fisher & Lawrie
Designated Omaha Landmark: 6/18/1985
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 8/23/1985
Designed by the prominent local architectural firm of Fisher and Lawrie, the Kennedy Building is architecturally significant as a local adaptation of the Commercial style of architecture. The building exhibits such representative features of the style as Chicago windows and a facade composition that expresses the skeletal nature of the building’s structural frame. Fisher and Lawrie also adopted Chicago architect Louis Sullivan’s method of giving unity to a multi-story building by dividing the facade into the tripartite scheme of base, shaft and capital, analogous to a Classical column. Built in 1910 by the Kennedy Investment Company as a speculative commercial building, the Kennedy Building is probably most strongly associated with its long-term occupant, the Union Outfitting Company.