Address: 4432 Leavenworth Street
Year Built: 1957
Sign Fabricator: Unknown
Designated Omaha Landmark: 12/02/2003
With its playful design and bright neon lighting, the La Casa Pizza Sign along Leavenworth Street has caught the eye of many passing motorists since construction in 1957. Peppi, the sign’s main feature, is a squat “troubadour” with a handlebar mustache who plucks a mandolin. The sign acts as prominent advertisement for La Casa Restaurant, immediately to the east, which opened in 1953. Beginning in the 1940s, the proliferation of the automobile helped to transform this part of Leavenworth Street from a predominately residential area into a busy commercial strip. At the time, neon signs like that outside La Casa Restaurant as well as nearby Charlie Graham auto-body shop and Bronco’s fast-food establishment were an innovate way to bring attention and customers to various establishments. The La Casa sign and its neon counterparts remain beckoning visual landmarks along Leavenworth today.