Year Built: 1889
Architect: Mendelssohn, Fisher and Lawrie
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Designated Omaha Landmark: 1/28/1986
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 3/13/1986
Mason School, built in 1888, is the oldest existing school building in Omaha. Designed by the early Omaha architectural firm of Mendelssohn, Fisher and Lawrie, Mason School is architecturally significant as one of the finest of only a very few Richardsonian Romanesque style buildings that remain in the city. Richardsonian Romanesque was the architectural style used for many of Omaha’s finest early buildings, now destroyed, including the 1889 City Hall and the 1892 Post Office Building. Mason School was named after Nebraska Supreme Court Justice Charles Mason and includes the late industrialist and philanthropist Peter Kiewit among its former students. In the late 1980’s the building was renovated for use as 32 apartment units.