Address: Between Harney to Howard from 10th to 13th Streets (excluding half block north of alley from 10th to 11th) and Between Howard to Jackson from 10th to 12th Streets (All but one building north of Harney have been demolished)
Year Built: 1880-1915
Architects: Various, including Fisher & Lawrie, Charles Cleves, and Isaac Hodgson & Son
Builder: Various, including R.B. Carter
Designated Omaha Landmark: 1/22/1985 (As the Old Market and Wholesale Landmark Heritage District - Boundaries Differ Slightly)
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 3/23/1979
The Old Market Historic District is significant to the commercial development of Omaha as the wholesale jobbing area which mushroomed in the 1880’s and continued well into the 20th century, serving as the distribution center for a variety of goods shipped on the Union Pacific Railroad and its branch lines all the way to the west coast. The district is comprised of former light industrial and warehouse buildings and wholesale jobbing houses. Today the Old Market is a popular entertainment and residential district, housing restaurants, shops and loft apartments.