Year Built: 1889
Architect: Henry Voss
Style: Late 19th Century Warehouse
Designated Omaha Landmark: 7/28/1992
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 7/10/1992
The unusual name of this building is taken from a wholesale hardware business that was the last occupant to use the structure as warehouse. Earlier the building housed several different manufacturers and distributors including a tinware manufacturer, a candy manufacturer and a wholesale paper distributor. Wholesale distribution, or "jobbing" as it was often called, contributed significantly to Omaha’s commercial development in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Many of the city’s largest and most notable businesses built large-scale warehouses at the time around the rail yards located on the eastern and southern edges of downtown. The Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building, built in 1889, is one of a diminishing number of late nineteenth century mill-constructed warehouses in Omaha that retains a high degree of integrity. The building underwent a substantial rehabilitation in the early 1990’s for use as apartments and ground floor commercial space.