Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission

Address: 1504 Harney Street

Year Built: 1930

Architect: Joseph G. McArthur

Builder: Unknown

Style: Art Deco

Designated Omaha Landmark: 9/9/1980

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 6/21/1984

Believing in "the prestige of the motor car as the most popular means of transportation", architect Joseph McArthur developed the 1930 Redick Tower building as a self-contained unit, providing parking space for 500 cars to be used by both tenants and the general public. The design anticipated the future by combining office and parking facilities in one structure. In terms of style, the twelve story, stepped back Redick Tower is a fine example of late Art Deco architecture. Like its contemporaries the Union Station and the Joslyn Art Museum, the building was influenced by Bertram Goodhue’s design for the Nebraska State Capitol. McArthur’s Redick Tower exhibits a conscious attempt for modernity and artistic expression to complement the machine age.

Local Landmark Designation Report

National Register Nomination Document

Click HERE to Visit the Omaha Historic Properties GIS Map Story

GIS map

redick 35

redick 36