Year Built: 1916
Architect: John Latenser
Builder: Selden-Breck Construction Company
Style: Commercial Style
Designated Omaha Landmark: 2/26/1985
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 9/26/1985
The Sanford Hotel was designed by prominent Omaha architect John Latenser. The building exhibits a local adaptation of Chicago architect Louis Sullivan’s method of giving unity to a multi-story building by dividing the facade into the three-part column-like scheme of a base, shaft, and capital. The building was financed and built by Dr. Harold Gifford, a pioneer in ophthalmology. Dr. Gifford was known locally as a philanthropist -- giving much of the land for Fontenelle Forest -- and as a founder of Methodist Hospital and Omaha Medical College. Renovated in 1985, the building is currently used for apartments and first-floor commercial space.