Year Built: 1899
Architect: John Latenser
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Designated Omaha Landmark: 9/24/1985
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 3/13/1986
Saunders School is an early example of architect John Latenser’s interest in neo-classical form and detail, an architectural style that would characterize his later commissions for many of Omaha’s most important civic and commercial buildings. The structure was named for Alvin Saunders, Nebraska’s last territorial governor before statehood in 1867. Built in 1899, Saunders School served the community as a public school facility for more than 80 years. The building was renovated for use as apartments in the late 1980’s.