Year Built: 1897
Architect: F. A. Henninger
Builder: Gustav Peterson
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Designated Omaha Landmark: 2/26/1985
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 3/13/1986
The Sherman, one of the first three apartment buildings constructed in Omaha, is the oldest remaining apartment building in the city. A fine example of the Neo-Classical Revival style, the Sherman has been in continuous use as an apartment since its construction. Its name was derived from Sherman Avenue, the former name of North 16th Street. George H. Payne, the developer of the Sherman, was one of the eleven board of directors of Omaha’s 1898 Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition, which was held nearby. The classically designed exposition, as well as Chicago’s 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition, undoubtedly influenced the design of the Sherman Apartments.