Year Built: 1898
Architect: Walker and Kimball
Style: Classical and Renaissance Revival
Designated Omaha Landmark: 11/24/1981
The 1898 Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition was a type of world’s fair initiated by Omaha business leaders to return the city to prosperity after the depression of the 1890’s. Supervising architects C. Howard Walker and Thomas R. Kimball guided the construction of the Classical and Renaissance-style buildings built around a half-mile long lagoon (Kountze Park today). The various structures housed exhibits in liberal and fine arts, mines and mining, agriculture, machinery, transportation and government. The exposition was visited by over 2.5 million people including President William McKinley. Never meant to be permanent, the exposition buildings were demolished in 1899. Today, early twentieth century bungalows and Classical revival style homes stand on the Trans-Mississippi site.