Year Built: 1906
Architect: John Latenser
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Designated Omaha Landmark: 9/30/2003
Listed in the National Register as part of the South Omaha Main Street Historic District: 2/14/1989
Two decades after South Omaha incorporated as a village, the industrialists who founded the thriving city commissioned John Latenser, Sr. to design the South Omaha City Hall and neighboring Police Station, both completed in 1906. Using the Neo-Classical Revival style, Latenser created two buildings that emphasized strength, solidity, and permanence, qualities the city founder’s surely aspired to for their relatively young city. The most visible classical feature on the two-story symmetrical brick City Hall is a temple front of stone surrounding the main entrance. While the smaller police station uses the same materials as its larger neighbor, the details are more simply applied. In 1982 a steel and glass addition unified the two buildings. After Omaha annexed its smaller neighbor to the south in 1915, the City Hall continued to house municipal offices until the early 2000s. Now used for commercial purposes, the buildings remain prominent fixtures along the South Omaha Main Street, a National Register Historic District.
Plans on microfilm