Year Built: 1915
Architect: Brother Leonard Darscheidt
Builder: O.F. Nelson
Style: German Romanesque
Designated Omaha Landmark: 2/11/1986
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 7/17/1986
Organized as Omaha’s second German parish in 1886, St. Joseph’s Church represents the early efforts of the city’s Roman Catholic leadership to establish churches of a distinctly national character serving the needs of the city’s large immigrant population. St. Joseph’s church is important as a parish community developed by the Franciscan Fathers, a missionary order which focused its work among German and Polish-speaking groups throughout the state. Designed by Franciscan architect Brother Leonard Darscheidt, St. Joseph’s Church is a significant local example of the Romanesque Revival style of church-building. Beginning in the 1830’s, the style flourished in Germany and its use at St. Joseph’s Church reflects the German origins and training of the Franciscan architects as well as the cultural heritage of the parish congregation.