Year Built: 1900
Architect: F.A. Henninger
Builder: John Harte
Style: Second Renaissance Revival
Designated Omaha Landmark: 11/24/1981
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 10/7/1982
The T. C. Havens House typifies the Georgian Revival style of architecture at the turn of the century when restrained, classical detailing of the Colonial period was applied to structures retaining basic Victorian elements. Designers at the time tended to reject the excesses of the Victorian era and pursued a style based on America’s early history. The house is located just south of the West Central-Cathedral Historic District and the George Joslyn House in an area of Omaha that is often collectively referred to as the Gold Coast. Like many residents of this neighborhood, T. C. Havens was a successful businessman wealthy enough to move beyond the noise and congestion of the city. Thomas Collins Havens, who came to Omaha from Ohio in 1872, was first employed here as a ticket agent with the Union Pacific Railroad and went on to own a very profitable coal business.