Year Built: 1910
Architect: Jacob Nachtigall
Designated Omaha Landmark: 05/01/2007
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 07/03/2007
The Swartz Printing Company was one of many commercial and wholesale jobbing operations that chose to locate in an area immediately north of the Union Pacific rail yards around the turn of the 20th-century. This strategic location ensured easy access to the goods and raw materials needed for the business to operate successfully. Architect Jacob Nachtigall ornamented the two-story brick building, completed in 1910, with simple brick and limestone detailing. Two storefronts occupied the first story while the second story contained a number of offices offset by a large open space. The Swartz Printing Company shared the building with a number of tenants before vacating the property in 1974. They were succeeded by the Driscoll Leather Company, which operated out of the building until 2005. Rehabilitation work in 2007 transformed the building into retail and residential units.