Year Built: 1907
Architect: Thomas Kimball
Style: Jacobethan Revival
Designated Omaha Landmark: 10/14/1980
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 12/05/1977
Formerly the home of the Great Plains Black Museum, this structure was designed as a telephone exchange building by prominent Nebraska architect Thomas Kimball in 1907. In 1933 the telephone company donated the building to the Urban League, which remodeled it for use as a community center. At one time the building was a 16 unit apartment house. The Great Plains Black Museum, founded to preserve the black heritage of the area, has utilized the building since 1975. The Webster Telephone Exchange Building, is eclectic in style using neo-classicism in the symmetrical arrangement of the facade and Jacobethan Revival elements in the building’s details.