Year Built: 1879
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 2/21/1969
The Crook House, designed in the Italianate style and built in 1879, is located within the confines of Fort Omaha, a military post operated by the federal government beginning in 1868. The brick residence was built to house the fort’s commanding general. General George Crook, a prominent Civil War officer and prized “Indian fighter,” and his wife were the home’s first occupants. As one of the oldest extant structures on the Fort Omaha site, the residence now functions as a house museum, library, and archival center under the supervision of the Douglas County Historical Society.