Address: 1650 Farnam Street
Year Built: 1889
Architect: McKim, Mead, and White
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 10/18/1972
The New York Life Insurance Company commissioned the esteemed New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White to design a building for the company’s Omaha Branch in the downtown area. Completed in 1889, it was the city’s first ten-story building, a skyscraper in its day. As the firm worked through the challenges of early skyscraper design, the architects borrowed elements of the Italianate style and arranged the structure in a U-shaped plan with a central low-arched entrance flanked by two rising vertical masses. In 1977, the Omaha-based law firm Kutak Rock purchased the building and renovated it for use as company office space.