Address: 405 S. 16th Street
Year Built: 1910
Architect: Holabird & Roche
Style: Chicago School
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 2/23/1973
The Chicago firm of Holabird & Roche employed technological and design innovations propounded by the Chicago School in their design for the City National Bank building. Upon completion in 1910, the sixteen-story building ranked as Omaha’s tallest. Steel was used as the primary structural material, which allowed for the building’s great height, large windows, flexible interior spaces, and abundance of natural light and ventilation. The building’s first tenants were of the legal, medical, and dental professions. In recent years, offices gave way to apartments and the building is now known as the Orpheum Tower, reflecting a close link with the Orpheum Theater to which the City National Bank Building is physically joined.