Year Built: 1902
Architect: George B. Prinz
Style: Georgian Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 8/1/1978
The distinctly shaped Flatiron Building was designed to best fit on its triangular-shaped site. The plot is quite unusual in Omaha’s gridded cityscape and is accounted for by St. Mary’s Avenue, which runs diagonally along the south end of the Flatiron site. The similarly shaped Flatiron Building in New York City, completed in 1902, likely influenced architect George B. Prinz in his own design. Georgian Revival details are visible in the symmetrical façades and uncomplicated detailing. Prominent banker and landowner Augustus F. Kountze commissioned the Flatiron in 1911 for use as commercial and office space. Within two years of its completion, the building was remodeled into a hotel by local realtors, Payne and Slater, only to be reconverted into commercial and office space at a later date.