Year Built: 1916
Architect: James T. Allen
Builder: Berak & Wind
Style: Second Renaissance Revival/Arts and Crafts
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 3/20/1986
Dr. Michael J. Ford, a highly regarded local physician and surgeon, commissioned the Ford Hospital as a small, privately owned medical facility. The hospital was constructed in 1916 just as Omaha started to gain prominence as an important health care center in the Midwest. The three-story building’s U-shaped symmetrical plan, refined detailing, and flat roof speak to the Second Renaissance Revival style while Arts and Crafts details are visible in the projected main entranceway. During its thirteen years as a private hospital, the building’s most notable event was treating Mayor Ed Smith after he was nearly lynched by a mob during a 1919 courthouse riot. In 1929, the hospital became the Fifth Avenue Hotel, which it functioned as until the early 1980s. Later in that decade, the building was converted to apartments.