Year Built: 1887
Architect: Henry Voss
Builder: Bailey & Olsen
Style: Romanesque Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 12/11/1978
The Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot, a complex of buildings in downtown Omaha, opened as a beer distribution facility in 1887 for the St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association. The original complex, located adjacent to Union Pacific rail lines, consisted of a one-story office, a beer vault/ice house, a wagon shed, and stables linked together by a cobblestone alley. Henry Voss, a prolific architect of brewery structures, designed the complex’s main buildings in the Romanesque Revival style with red brick walls, prominent rounded arch window and door openings, and stone and corbeled brick detailing. Prohibition put an end to the depot’s use as a beer distributor and the complex was thereafter used as warehouse and office space. Today only the office building remains.