Year Built: 1881-1958
Style: Vernacular, with Italianate and Richardsonian Romanesque features
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 07/26/1979
The Omaha Quartermaster Depot Historic District encompasses a seven-acre site in southwest Omaha, which lies adjacent to the main line of the Union Pacific Railroad. Historically and architecturally significant buildings on the site date from as early as the 1880s with some built in the 1890s and late 1930s. Those from the 1880s and 1890s are imposing brick buildings designed in the Italianate and Romanesque styles and defined by their symmetrical facades, arched window and door openings, and low pitched rooflines. The Quartermaster Depot was first used in the late 19th century as a storage supply and distribution center for nearby military outposts associated with the Department of the Platte. In succeeding years, the depot was most heavily used during times of national and international turmoil. After World War II, the depot became the base for the Iowa-Nebraska National Guard before acquiring its present use as the headquarters for a unit of the U.S. Army Reserve.