Address: 14100 Mother Theresa Lane, Boys Town
Year Built: 1927
Architect: Jacob M. Nachtigall
Builder: Charles W. Brader
Style: Georgian Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 7/16/1979
The Father Flanagan House was built as the residence for the founder of Boys Town, Father Edward Joseph Flanagan, in 1927. The residence is located on the campus of Boys Town, a self-contained municipality in west Omaha that Father Flanagan established in the early 20th century to assist homeless and troubled youth. The brick residence is the oldest extant building on the campus and was designed as a simplified example of the Georgian Revival Style with a hipped roof, tooth-like dentils beneath the cornice, and covered front and side porches. An addition was added to the rear of the home in 1940 when Father Flanagan gave use of the residence to the De La Salle Christian Brothers. Today the home is a museum honoring the memory of the community’s founder while the 1940 addition is used as an alumni center.