Year Built: 1909-12
Architect: John Latenser, Sr.
Style: French Renaissance Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 10/11/1979
Prolific Omaha architect John Latenser, Sr. designed the five-story Douglas County Courthouse in the French Renaissance Revival style with a granite foundation and walls of Bedford limestone. An abundance of classical details are noticeable on the building’s symmetrical exterior including an arcaded front entrance, engaged Corinthian columns and piers on the upper floors, and ornamental pediments in the projecting wings flanking the primary entry. The top story, which originally housed a jail facility, is of a simpler design than the floors below. Although a riot and resultant fire in 1919, along with later alterations, dramatically changed original interior details, the building continues as the county courthouse to the present day.