Year Built: 1900-1912
Architect: John Latenser, Sr.
Style: French Renaissance Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places:10/11/1979
The three-story Central High School building was constructed in four stages between 1900 and 1912 on a prominent 10-acre site downtown originally occupied by the Territorial Capitol building. John Latenser, Sr., architect of thirty-five public school buildings in Omaha, used French Renaissance Revival details in his design. Latenser carefully planned the interior to allow for abundant light and air, easy movement throughout the spaces, and soundproofing between rooms. A courtyard, originally exposed to the elements but enclosed at a later date, was placed in the center of the school. While the overall historic fabric remains intact today, modifications to the site and building have occurred in succeeding decades to ensure the high school remains viable for generations of students to come.