Year Built: 1917
Architect: Graham, Burnham & Company
Style: Renaissance Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 5/13/1982
The fourteen-story, steel-framed First National Bank Building is a prominent fixture in Omaha’s downtown core. Notable Chicago architectural firm, Graham, Burnham & Company, designed the light-colored brick, terracotta, and granite clad skyscraper in the late Renaissance Revival style. The building, completed in 1917, has a U-shaped plan with two towers projecting above the fourth floor. Much of the exterior ornamental work is reserved for the four lower, more visible, stories while the upper stories are designed to emphasize the verticality of the building. The roots of First National Bank can be traced to early Omaha financiers, the Kountze Brothers, making the company one of Omaha’s oldest and most notable financial houses. When First National Bank relocated to new headquarters in 1970, the building was used as office space by other businesses. By 2000, the towers were converted to residences with commercial and office uses regulated to the lower floors.