Year Built: 1906
Architect: John Latenser, Sr.
Style: Second Renaissance Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 8/27/1982
When the J.L.Brandeis & Sons Store opened in 1906 as the flagship of the Brandeis operation, it was the largest retail establishment in downtown Omaha. Architect John Latenser, Sr. designed the eight-story steel-framed building in the Second Renaissance Revival style. Latenser used stylistic elements like prominent stringcourses, solid brick piers, and large window openings to emphasize the impressive mass of the building and attract potential customers. Two additional stories added to the building in 1921 accommodated the increased needs of the thriving company. J.L. Brandeis, the company’s namesake, began the retail establishment as a single store in the 1880s. His descendants helped the company flourish and oversaw expansion of operations throughout the Midwest. In 1980, the Brandeis & Sons Store closed and the building was later converted for residential and small-scale commercial uses.