Year Built: 1917
Architect: John and Alan McDonald
Style: Colonial Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 5/29/1986
The Old People’s Home was constructed as institutional housing for the elderly in 1917 on a site along Fontenelle Boulevard. Prominent Omaha citizens George and Sarah Joslyn donated the site and provided funds for the building’s construction. Architects John and Alan McDonald made use of the Colonial Revival Style in their design, a U-shaped plan with two projections flanking a central wing. The two-story masonry building has a symmetrical form and such notable classical details as ionic columns, porticos on the main and south facades, and a pedimented gabled end above the central wing. The Women’s Christian Aid Society, a benevolent organization dedicated to elderly care, commissioned the project as one of the city’s first old age homes. The building was briefly used as a rehabilitation center for troubled boys in the 1970s, but by the late 1980s was revived for elderly housing.