Year Built: 1890-1910
Style: Various, including Prairie, Classical Revival and Richardsonian Romanesque
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 02/14/1989
The South Omaha Main Street Historic District encompasses a two-and-one-half block radius of civic and commercial buildings arranged along the busy 24th Street commercial corridor. South Omaha emerged in the 1880s as an industrial hub for stockyard and meatpacking activities. Over thirty buildings and three cast iron streetlights are located in the district. Most of the buildings date from 1890 to 1910 and are one to four stories in height with rectangular plans, flat roofs, and masonry cladding. The district’s post office and city hall are larger than the neighboring buildings and designed along classical principles. After annexation by Omaha in 1915, South Omaha continued to thrive under its stockyards-based economy until the 1960s, when much the area’s meatpacking industry dwindled significantly. No longer solely defined by its meatpacking roots, the South Omaha Main Street Historic District retains much of its historic character and continues to thrive today as a lively area with restaurants, shops, offices, and apartments.