Year Built: 1856-1858
Head Surveyor: Captain Edward Beckwith
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 12/10/1993
This segment of road originated in 1856 as part of the old Military Road that ran from Omaha to Fort Kearny. The United States Army constructed the route to provide more efficient transportation of supplies from landing sites at the Missouri River to western-lying frontier military posts. After stopping off in Omaha to load up on supplies, settlers and merchants heading west also moved along the road. Today much development has occurred along the route although ruts in the terrain allude to the trail’s early use by supply-laden wagons.