Year Built: 1889-1946
Architect: Various, including Dufrene and Medelssohn, Thomas Kimball, Jacob Nachtigall, John and Alan McDonald, Henry Ives Cobb, F.A. Henninger, Henry Lawrie
Builder: Various, including L. Knutson
Style: Late Victorian; late 19th and 20th Century Revivals; late 19th and early 20th century American Movements
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 03/14/1997
Encompassing a thirty-block radius in midtown Omaha, the Gold Coast Historic District contains the large mansions and single-family homes of the city’s early middle and upper-class residents. Interspersed with these larger residences are commercial buildings, multi-family dwellings, hotels, schools, and religious facilities. Two distinct neighborhoods, Blackstone (originally West Farnam) and West Cathedral, are set within the larger area known as the Gold Coast. The area’s distinction as the Gold Coast emerged when Omaha’s wealthy citizens first settled the area in the 1880s. Improved transportation modes along with a desire to escape the city’s congested core led these early elite residents to the area. In later decades, middle class inhabitants followed and with them came the construction of smaller homes and multi-family units. As well, the growing population necessitated the construction of service-oriented buildings along the district’s main thoroughfares. The variety of architectural styles found in the area reflects aesthetic trends and the changing economies of the area’s diverse residents.