Year Built: 1887
Architect: Mendelssohn and Lawrie
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 1/25/2000
In 1887, developer G.C. Moses hired the prominent architectural firm of Mendelssohn and Lawrie to design a two-story mixed-use structure south of downtown with shops on the first level and residences above. To add interest to the primary façade, cast-iron columns were placed at the shop level while six prominent bay windows clad in bronze emerged along the second story. The building faces South 13th Street, which at the time of construction was a burgeoning commercial corridor running between downtown and South Omaha. Although some modernization occurred over the years, the Moses Block retains most of its historic details as well as its residential and commercial functions.