Year Built: 1889-1949
Architect: Various, including John McDonald, F.A. Henninger, Fisher & Lawrie
Builder: Various, including Norris & Norris, T.B. Campbell, Minkin Brothers, Henningsen Engineering, Skagman Builders, R.G. Freeman
Style: Various, including Queen Anne, Period Revivals, Colonial Revival, Classical Revival, Chateauesque, Tudor Revival, Arts & Crafts, Bungalow/Craftsman, Prairie School, American Foursquare, Cottage, Contemporary (International), Ranch
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 11/15/2000
Improved transportation routes and easy access to nearby amenities led to the creation of a residential neighborhood in what is now the Field Club Historic District. Located southwest of downtown, the district is anchored by Hanscom Park to the east and Field Club to the west with Woolworth Avenue, the neighborhood’s “main street,” running down the center. The district consists primarily of single-family homes dating from the late 19th to mid-20th centuries with the only non-residential buildings being a school and church. Development of this district began in the 1880s, spurred by the extension of the city’s trolley line as well as the creation of Hanscom Park, the latter of which renowned landscape architect H.W.S. Cleveland planned. These two factors made the area a desirable place to live for the city’s elite. In the following decades, middle class residents and returning veterans flocked to the area and the neighborhood took on its characteristic appearance as smaller, often speculative built homes interspersed with the more high style architect-designed homes. Much of the building stock from all significant periods of development remain, thanks in part to an active neighborhood association concerned with maintaining the distinct appearance of the area.