Year Built: 1926 to 1949
Architects: Oscar Bowles, Everett Dodds, Leo Dworak, George Fisher, Bert Hene, Reinholdt Hennig, Frederick Henniger, John Hyde, Jr., Birger Kvenild, Charles Rosenberry, Ernest Schreiber, Edward Sessinghaus, William Sype
Developer: Theodore Metcalfe
Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century Revivals
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 12/30/2004
The Country Club Historic District, located northwest of downtown, represents an early 20th century planned residential community. The Metcalf Company developed the site, formerly a golf course and country club, by subdividing the land into plots for residences. The company followed the example of similarly planned communities of the day and arranged the lots along curvilinear streets. To ensure a cohesive appearance, the developers insisted on a degree of uniformity in home design. The resulting residences are predominantly single-family with some duplexes and apartment buildings also present. The common use of brick unifies the eclectic mix of buildings; many of which local architects or speculative builders designed in popular period revival styles of the day. A park and church dating from the same period add some diversity to the otherwise purely residential district.