Year Built: 1916
Architect: Albert Kahn
Style: Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 11/15/2004
In 1916, the Ford Company chose to locate its Omaha assembly plant in a mixed industrial and residential area north of the downtown core. Albert Kahn, a respected industrial architect, designed the five-story building, one of many he completed for the Ford Motor Company. Classical elements are present in the division of the building into base, body, and cornice and the application of simple brick and terracotta ornamentation. In their design for the plant, Kahn and Henry Ford explored ways to simplify the process of mass-production. To increase efficiency, the architect located all manufacturing activities under one roof rather than in separate buildings. As well, the plant reversed the assembly process. Production moved from bottom to top with the finished product placed on the roof for storage before being sold. The building operated as an automobile assembly plant until the 1930s. Today the plant is a mixed-use residential and commercial building named in honor of a later long-term owner, Tip Top Plastics.