Year Built: 1870-1955
Architect: Various, including Thomas Kimball, John and Alan McDonald
Builder: Various, including C.C. & J.E. George
Style: Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Georgian Revival, Neo-Classical Revival, Spanish Colonial Revival, Italian Renaissance Revival, Prairie, Bungalow, Craftsman, Art Moderne
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 6/03/2005
The Dundee/Happy Hollow Historic District, located approximately two miles west of downtown, contains a number of distinct neighborhoods within its boundaries. Dundee and Happy Hollow are the most prominent of these with smaller subdivisions including Evanston, Edgewood, and Lockwood. Within the district, single and multi-family residences are interspersed with commercial nodes, schools, parks, and religious institutions.
The buildings in the district represent a variety of architectural styles with many designed by some of Omaha’s most preeminent architectural firms and others built on a speculative basis by area developers. Dundee is the oldest of the subdivisions and it, along with the other neighborhoods, grew as a result of streetcar extensions that made it easier for potential homebuyers to access the area at a time when automobiles were rare. After the automobile became a common means of transportation, the area continued to expand and thrive. Today the historical integrity of the buildings and the district as a whole make it a highly desirable place to live and visit.