Year Built: 1916
Architect: F.A. Henninger
Builder: R.C. Strehlow
Style: Jacobethan Revival
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 5/15/2007
After the nearby 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exposition incited interest in the North Omaha enclave in which the Margaret is situated, the area quickly developed into a dense residential district with large multi-family units built to accommodate the growing population. Prominent developer R.C. Strehlow commissioned F.A. Henninger to design the building, completed in 1916, in a grand style that would appeal to white-collar workers. Taking inspiration from preferred apartment building methods of the day, Henninger created a three-story L-shaped building of solid brick construction in the Jacobean Revival style. Grand entranceways provided access to the building’s twenty-one spacious units, each of which came outfitted with all of the modern amenities desired by high-class apartment dwellers. The success of Strehlow’s initiative and Henninger’s design endures today with the Margaret Apartments recently rehabilitated for use as low-income housing.