Year Built: 1883
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 11/15/2007
Located northeast of Omaha’s Central Business District, the Stabrie Grocery served the needs of Omaha’s early residents, who, at the time of the building’s construction in 1883, concentrated in dense residential neighborhoods close to large employers like the Union Pacific Railroad. The two-story brick building was designed in an efficient, utilitarian manner with simple exterior detailing and expansive interior spaces ideal for product display. Subsequent owners made considerable changes to the structure, enlarging it with three additions over a forty-year period. The use of the building shifted as the area became increasingly industrial and as the manner in which Americans shopped for groceries changed. After 1894, the grocery store gave way to a series of other uses including a saloon, a wholesale grocer, a mattress manufacturer, and an art studio. In 2007, a restaurant named in honor of the mattress company began to operate out of the building.