Year Built: 1893-1958
Style: Vernacular commercial structures
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places: 03/02/2009
The Nicholas Street Historic District developed on the northern edge of the city as an island of industrial buildings encompassed by Union Pacific Railroad tracks. The close proximity of the railroad and the availability of large tracts of affordable land encouraged the industrial nature of this area. An emphasis upon utility, efficiency, and durability resulted in the construction of simple commercial structures with little ornamentation. Although buildings housing light industrial uses have predominated in the district since the late 19th century, other building types that emerged in later years include public works buildings, auto repair garages, and warehouses. Some of the city’s oldest businesses operated out of the Nicholas Street district, providing finished products like wood furniture and mattresses to area residents. The complex that housed one such business, M.A. Disbrow and Company, is also listed on the National Register. Although businesses have come and gone and some of the extant building stock has changed in use or appearance, the district’s distinct industrial legacy endures.